Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bacon and Rice Stuffed Tomatoes!


     Okay so it has been way too long since I last added a recipe to my blog. I have been so busy with the kids and school lately that I just didn't have the time. I got this recipe from the grocery store Hyvee back home. I made a few changes to it, I used regular white rice instead of the precooked rice and I added some cheese to the top. I also used turkey bacon because that is what i had on hand! i hope you enjoy these as much as i did! You can also view the recipe right on the Hyvee website right here at Hyvee Seasons!

INGREDIENTS
6 medium tomatoes
6 slices  reduced-sodium bacon
1 (8.8-ounce) pouch precooked long grain and wild rice
1 tbsp  unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c.  butter garlic croutons
MAKE IT
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut a 1/2-inch slice from the top of each tomato and discard. Using a teaspoon or melon baller, scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Discard seeds and coarsely chop pulp (should have about 1 cup). Set aside.
2.Cook bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble; set aside.
Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Stir in chopped tomato pulp, green pepper and parsley. Sauté for 2 minutes, until pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in bacon, rice and croutons.
3.Spoon rice filling into tomatoes. Arrange stuffed tomatoes in an 11-by-7-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment