Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Homemade Soap!


     Three of my children have birthdays in January so my husband and I decided we would throw them a big joint party (they are still young so we can get away with that)! As I begin looking for and thinking of ideas for party favors I was not overly excited about the choices out there, most of the things were little toys that would break in about 5 minutes. I stumbled across some soap party favors on etsy.com and loved them! I loved the gold fish in a bag soap the most but didn't want to that much for them. I was not able to find any plastic goldfish locally to make my own so I settled for the tattoo embedded into to soap idea instead!
     I picked up some Jake and the Neverland Pirates and The Little Mermaid tattoos at Party City when I went to buy the party decorations. The only downfall with the tattoos I bought were that the Jake and the Neverland Pirates tattoos had words on them, making the words backwards in the soap because I decided to embed it between the layers instead of placing the tattoo on top of the soap (I wanted the image to last longer). I googled and youtubed videos on how to make it and I found that the Soap Queen TV videos were the best! This v
ideo "how to make tattoo soap" is the one that I used!


What you will need:

     Clear melt and pour soap and white melt and pour soap (make sure they are the same brand). I found mine at Michael's. There are many different kinds of melt and pour soap in the store...they had honey, olive oil, goats milk, shea buttter, and etc.


     You will need a spray bottle for alcohol ( you spritz the soap after putting it in the mold to get rid of bubbles and you also spritz before pouring the next layer to adhear your layers together, and a soap fragrance ( I chose lavendar vanilla).
if you forget to spray the clear layer with alcohol before pouring the white layer, the layers may start to pull apart from each other.

    You will need to pick out some temporary tattoos of your choice or even a toy to put in between the two layers.

     You will need a soap mold or any type of container that is a little flexible so that you can get the soap out once it has hardened. 

     You will need a microwave safe measuring cup or container to melt your soap in.

     And finally you will just need something to wrap your soap in to finish it off once you are all done!

________________________________________________________________________

Instructions:
(i recommend watching the Soap Queen TV video first)
    
      To begin making your soap you need to get your mold and make sure it is clean and dry, once you have finished that then you can take the clear melt and pour soap and cut it into cubes and put it into your measuring cup. Place your measuring cup with soap into the microwave and start out by cooking it for 30 seconds, then you will do 10 seconds at a time after that until it is all melted (you do not want it to start boiling or you will burn your soap). Stir your soap and then pour it into your molds, filling them halfway. Spritz your clear soap with some alcohol to get rid of all the bubbles. Now wait 10 minutes for a thick layer to form on your soap. Once the thick layer has formed you will need to take your tattoo (cut around the edges of the design) and place it onto the soap. Take a sponge and transfer the tattoo onto the soap. Now wait another few minutes for the tattoo to dry onto the soap. Once it is all dry you will need to take the white melt and pour soap and put it into a measuring cup and cook it in the microwave (following the same cooking directions as the clear soap). Once the soap is melted you will add your soap fragrance ( I did not add the fragrance to the clear soap because I wanted the clear soap to stay really clear). Stir the fragrance into the white soap. Now you will spritz your clear soap with some alcohol and then pour the white soap on top filling up the rest of your mold. Once you have finished filling the mold you will spritz the soap again with alcohol to get rid of all the bubbles. Now wait 40 minutes and your soap will be all finished! If you have any trouble getting your soap to pop out of your mold just put it into the freezer for about 20 minutes and it will come out really easy that way!

________________________________________________________________________

     I bought 8lbs of soap all together and was able to make 42 bars of soap out of it! Each 2lb container cost me $9.99 which makes each bar of soap cost right under $1 each (not including the cost of tattoos, fragrance, or the other supplies you need). I really enjoyed making the soap and so did my 6 year old son! I even made some for myself when I was all finished making the birthday party favors! 








No comments:

Post a Comment