Friday, January 3, 2014

You have to REALLY want it!

     As many of you know I have lost a lot of weight within the last year. I was on such a roll with my weight loss before I found out I was pregnant with Hattie that I wanted to continue my path of eating and living a healthier lifestyle. It was a tough pregnancy though because  of medical issues and I was not allowed to do any type of exercising, I was packing on the weight and seeing the numbers on the scale rise and rise was really bugging me. My goal for 2013 was that after I delivered Hattie and was released to begin exercising that I would not waste any time. The reason I am writing this is because I am constantly asked "how did you lose so much weight", "what is your secret",  and "tell me how I can lose weight too".
     The number one reason that I was able to loose so much weight was because I REALLY wanted it. I have tried to lose a few pounds here and there before but I honestly was not really dedicated to it. Once I decided that I wanted to do this, I then figured out how I wanted to go about it. I did a lot of research because I was and still am breastfeeding my baby girl. I wanted to make sure that I was still taking in enough calories to feed her but not so many that I was eating too much. I also spoke with my doctor about it because their knowledge is very helpful when starting any diet and exercise routine. I told the doctor I was thinking of trying Weight Watchers online and she agreed that, that would be a great route for me to take because they calculate in the fact that I am a nursing mother. I have done Weight Watchers 3 times now and I would recommend Weight Watchers to anyone who wants to start loosing weight. It is not a program that is going to do the work for you though, you have to prepare the meals and check the nutrition facts and etc. (there is no diet out there that is going to do the work for you....just so you know!)
     On March 11, 2013 I was finally cleared to begin my diet and exercise..... and let me tell you, it was not easy! Adjusting my eating style had me so hungry the first week or two and beginning to exercise again left my body feeling sore (its a good sore though because you know that its working!). I started the C25K (couch to 5k) app on my phone and followed that program all the way through. I had never been a runner but I always wanted to be! I would recommend the C25K program to anyone, it really has changed me and I am able to run distances I never thought possible.
     My first weight loss goal was to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, I was able to accomplish that goal just a little shy of 4 months after my baby girl was born. I then set a second goal, and a third, and then finally my fourth  (to maintain my current weight). It was important for me to remember to set realistic goals that I would actually be able to accomplish, because if you don't then you are setting yourself up to fail. When I started out I was running 6 days a week plus going to the gym for Zumba classes, now that kids are getting busier I run only every other day but I still so workouts at home as well. I am currently doing the Hip Hop Abs from Team BeachBody, Zumba, and running at least 3 miles every other day. I plan to start doing a little weight training sometime in the future but right now I am content with my exercise routine.

No matter what route you go just remember you are doing this for you!!!! -Julie





No comments:

Post a Comment