Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Hand Scrub!

     I don't know about you, but my hands are always suffering from dry skin.  I have 1 year old twins and a 4 year old so we are constantly washing our hands or using hand sanitizer in my house. I recently just went to Savannah, GA and we ate at Uncle Bubba's restaurant, which happens to be Paula Deen's brothers restaurant.  They were selling Paula's hand scrub and they had it free to try in the restrooms their as well, I loved it and I love Paula Deen but I did not want to pay that much for hand scrub.  So after coming home I decided I would look up different kinds hand scrub recipes and try it!  I came across this recipe for lemon sugar hand scrub from the author of good life eats. The olive oil in the recipe is great for moisturizing and the lemon scent is a great stress reducer.  Salt will dry out your skin so that is why there is only a little bit of it compared to the sugar.  Use the kosher salt because it is more coarse, but if you would rather you could just do all sugar instead.  I like having the coarse salt in the recipe because it helps to exfoliate your skin and feels great!


INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
zest of a large lemon (you can do more lemon if you would like)
1 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp lemon extract (this is optional, add it if you would like to have more lemon scent)


MAKE IT
1. Place the sugar, salt, and olive oil in a bowl and mix together until the olive oil is mixed in well.
2. Zest the lemon and add to the sugar/salt/oil mixture and mix in well. Add lemon extract if desired.
3. Spoon the hand scrub into cleaned jars or whatever type of container you are planning on storing it in and decorate however you would like!

No comments:

Post a Comment