Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Harvest Soup!



    So the other day I was reading in Parents Magazine and came across this soup recipe for Harvest Soup! I was a little unsure of how everyone would like it but it turned out great, the twins even loved it! This soup is rich, velvety and just amazing!
     When I making this soup I used a blender since my food processor is pretty small. I added some shredded monterrey jack cheese on top and just whatever kind of croutons i had in the cupboard!  I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
2 medium apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces  (using a thin-skinned apple will make it easier to puree some examples are, Golden Delicious, Gala, or Northern Spy)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Ground black pepper to taste
Whole-grain croutons

MAKE IT
1. In a big pot, heat oil on medium. Add carrots, celery, and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and starting to brown. Add squash, apples, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool slightly.
2. Puree soup, in two batches if needed, in a blender or food processor. Add pepper and croutons. Makes about 6 cups.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! The apples surprised me but I am always open to new recipes and I'm very excited to try this!! :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete